Warm Homes Healthy People
Suffolk's Warm Homes Healthy People is a project designed to help vulnerable people and families make their homes cheaper to heat.
The project can provide the following for eligible residents in Suffolk:
- Fuel payments paid directly to your heating supplier
- Boiler or heater stopped working? Warm Homes Healthy People can lend you electric heaters and assess you for financial assistance towards the cost of repairs or replacements
- Do you own or privately rent your property? Warm Homes Healthy People can arrange for an independent surveyor to visit your home and discuss energy efficiency improvements that could make a real difference to your heating bills.
- The project can also access grants to help pay for insulation and basic draught proofing
So am I eligible?
Warm Homes Healthy People aims to reach those most in need of their services. You are eligible if:
- Your household income is below £17,000 and savings below £6,000 and you meet one of the following criteria:
- Aged over 63 or live with children under five years old
- Someone living with you has a long term health condition or disability
If you answered 'Yes' to one or more of the criteria, call 03456 037 686 for free advice and help with:
- An emergency fuel payment
- Making your home warmer as well as more energy efficient
- Getting your home properly insulated and draught proof
- Emergency boiler and heating repairs
- Loan of temporary heaters in an emergency
- Cheaper oil prices and access to interest free loans through Eastern Savings and Loans
If you are a GP wishing to make a referral, please contact us on 03456 037 686 or email@example.com.
Other ways to get help
In the first instance contact your energy supplier. They offer a range of services to older or vulnerable customers and people on low incomes, including cheaper energy deals and free or subsidised energy efficiency measures.
All gas or electricity companies offer a Priority Service Register to customers who are older, disabled or have a chronic illness.
- Benefits: If you are concerned about the cost of heating your home you may be eligible for various benefits and schemes.
- British Gas Energy Trust: Find details of trusts and funds to help with energy and water bills
- Community Action Suffolk Community Buying Ltd: Countywide oil-buying syndicate which enables members to buy heating oil at reduced prices
- Energy Saving Trust: Impartial advice on how to reduce carbon emissions, use water more sustainably and save money on energy bills
- Lofty Heights: A loft emptying service for elderly and disabled people to allow them to take advantage of the free insulation schemes on offer
- Are you prepared for winter?: Essential information about staying safe and healthy this winter from Suffolk County Council
- Winter Wrapped Up: Tips from Age UK on how to keep warm and well
Anyone who has a vulnerable relative or neighbour is urged to help them find out more about what support and assistance might be available to them.