Warm Homes Healthy People
Suffolk's Warm Homes Healthy People is a project designed to help vulnerable people and families make their homes cheaper to heat.
The project can provide the following for eligible residents in Suffolk:
- Fuel payments paid directly to your heating supplier
- Boiler or heater stopped working? Warm Homes Healthy People can lend you electric heaters and assess you for financial assistance towards the cost of repairs or replacements
- Do you own or privately rent your property? Warm Homes Healthy People can arrange for an independent surveyor to visit your home and discuss energy efficiency improvements that could make a real difference to your heating bills.
- The project can also access grants to help pay for insulation and basic draught proofing
So am I eligible?
Warm Homes Healthy People aims to reach those most in need of their services. You are eligible if:
- Your household income is below £17,000 and savings below £20,000 and you meet one of the following criteria:
- Aged over 63 or live with children under five years old
- Someone living with you has a long term health condition or disability
If you answered 'Yes' to one or more of the criteria, call 03456 037 686 for free advice and help with:
- An emergency fuel payment
- Making your home warmer as well as more energy efficient
- Getting your home properly insulated and draught proof
- Emergency boiler and heating repairs
- Loan of temporary heaters in an emergency
- Cheaper oil prices and access to interest free loans through Eastern Savings and Loans
If you are a GP wishing to make a referral, please contact us on 03456 037 686 or email@example.com.
Other ways to get help
In the first instance contact your energy supplier. They offer a range of services to older or vulnerable customers and people on low incomes, including cheaper energy deals and free or subsidised energy efficiency measures.
All gas or electricity companies offer a Priority Service Register to customers who are older, disabled or have a chronic illness.
- Benefits: If you are concerned about the cost of heating your home you may be eligible for various benefits and schemes.
- British Gas Energy Trust: Find details of trusts and funds to help with energy and water bills
- Community Action Suffolk Community Buying Ltd: Countywide oil-buying syndicate which enables members to buy heating oil at reduced prices
- Energy Saving Trust: Impartial advice on how to reduce carbon emissions, use water more sustainably and save money on energy bills
- Home Heat Helpline: Get energy-saving tips, factsheets and advice from their website or call 0800 33 66 99
- Keep Warm, Keep Well: government information leaflet for people over 60, low-income families and people living with a disability. It includes advice on getting prepared for the cold weather and financial help to heat your home
- Lofty Heights: A loft emptying service for elderly and disabled people to allow them to take advantage of the free insulation schemes on offer
- Are you prepared for winter?: Essential information about staying safe and healthy this winter from Suffolk County Council
- Winter Wrapped Up: Tips from Age UK on how to keep warm and well
Anyone who has a vulnerable relative or neighbour is urged to help them find out more about what support and assistance might be available to them.
Forms to be used by Warm Homes Healthy People surveyors: