Eat Out, Eat Well
What's it all about?
The Eat Out Eat Well Scheme recognises the work of food businesses (cafes, restaurants and staff canteens) who are making it easier for customers to make healthier choices when eating out. The scheme also lets customers search for Eat Out Eat Well recognised businesses.
Watch out for our new award for takeaway businesses, Take Out Eat Well, coming soon (September 2018).
How do I find out about healthier eating?
Eating food out of the home is now a regular feature of busy lifestyles. More than a quarter of adults eat out once or more during the week. Making healthier food choices easier helps people maintain a healthy weight and reduces their risk of several long-term health conditions. Find out about healthy lifestyles including food by following these links:
- Live Well Campaign - apps and information including Change 4 Life
- One You - including the 400-600-600 campaign
- The Eatwell Guide - explore food groups using an interactive guide
- OneLife Suffolk - support local people healthy lifestyle information including weight management
Eat Out Eat Well, how does it work?
Eat Out Eat Well is happening in several parts of the country including Suffolk.
Businesses are assessed by environmental health teams against a set of standards linked to the types of ingredients they buy, how they prepare their food and how it's promoted to customers. There's an emphasis on using less fat, sugar and salt, making healthier menu changes and staff training.
Depending on their score a business can be recognised by a gold, silver or bronze award .
Successful businesses are encouraged celebrate their success and display the award to customers.
A brief guide can be accessed here.
What's the benefit for businesses?
Out of home catering businesses can make an enormous contribution to influencing and improving their customer’s diet and health by providing healthier food and drink choices. Here are some of the benefits that businesses taking part in Eat Out Eat Well have spoken about:
- Increased publicity (stickers, press, social media)
- An opportunity for product development (new dishes, products stocked)
- Revisiting their marketing strategy (ways to promote healthier options)
- Improved staff knowledge and increased motivation (training)
- Appealing to new or different customer groups
I'm involved in a food business what do I need to know?
The Eat Out Eat Well Scheme is:
- Free to Suffolk businesses
- Open to businesses providing out of home catering e.g. cafes, restaurants and staff canteens
- Supported by a Charter
- Assessed against healthier food practices (procurement, preparation promotion)
- Linked to having a food hygiene rating of 3 or above and being trading standards compliant
- Accompanied by an award (gold, silver or bronze)
- Valid for 2 years (with a reassessment in year 3) unless the businesses circumstances change
- An opportunity for staff to increase their knowledge of the link between food and health through completing free or low-cost training courses
What happens next?
- Read The EOEW Guide and Charter to decide whether the Eat Out Eat Well Scheme is for your business
- Complete a self-assessment form to see how your business would score against the Eat Out Eat Well standards
- Contact Us to start the conversation
- Your local environmental health team will be in contact to arrange a time to discuss award and your assessment
- You will have time to consider and adopt any changes you discuss
- A convenient time will be agreed for the assessment
Click here if:
- You have an Eat Out Eat Well Scheme question
- You'd like your business to take part in the Eat Out Eat Well Scheme
- You'd like to nominate a business to go forward for an Eat Out Eat Well award