Eat Out Eat Well
The Eat Out Eat Well Award, what's it all about?
The Eat Out Eat Well award recognises the work of food businesses (cafes, restaurants and staff canteens) who are making it easier for customers to make healthier choices when eating out. To find out more about healthier eating follow this link. Look out for the Eat Out Eat Well logo in awarded businesses.
For takeaways follow this link to the Take Out Eat Well awards.
How does it work?
Eat Out Eat Well is a national award scheme happening in several parts of the country including Suffolk. Businesses are assessed by local environmental health teams against a set of standards linked to the types of ingredients they buy, how they prepare their food and promote the healthier options to customers. There's an emphasis on using less fat, sugar and salt, making healthier menu changes and staff training. Business’s food hygiene rating and compliance with food legislation is also taken into account. You can view and print a leaflet about the award here.
Depending on their score a business can be recognised by a GOLD, SILVER or BRONZE award. Successful businesses are given promotional materials and encouraged celebrate their success to customers.
What's the benefit for businesses?
Out of home catering businesses can make an enormous contribution to influencing and improving their customer’s diet and health by providing healthier food and drink choices. Here are some of the benefits that businesses taking part in Eat Out Eat Well have spoken about:
- Increased publicity (stickers, press, social media)
- An opportunity for product development (new dishes, products stocked)
- Revisiting their marketing strategy (ways to promote healthier options)
- Improved staff knowledge and increased motivation (training)
- Appealing to new or different customer groups
Let's get social... #eatouteatwell #healthysuffolk
I'm involved in a food business, what do I need to know?
The Eat Out Eat Well award is:
- FREE to Suffolk businesses
- Open to businesses providing out of home catering e.g. cafes, restaurants and staff canteens
- Supported by a Charter
- Assessed against healthier food practices (procurement, preparation promotion)
- Linked to having a food hygiene rating of 3 or above and being trading standards compliant
- Accompanied by an award (gold, silver or bronze)
- Valid for 2 years (with a reassessment in year 3) unless the businesses circumstances change
- An opportunity for staff to increase their knowledge of the link between food and health through completing free or low-cost training courses
How can my business get involved?
- Read The Eat Out Eat Well leaflet guide and Charter to decide whether the Eat Out Eat Well award is for your business
- Complete a self-assessment form to see how your business would score against the Eat Out Eat Well standards
- Contact Us to start the conversation
- Your local environmental health team will be in contact to arrange a time to discuss award and your assessment
- You will have time to consider and adopt any changes you discuss
- A convenient time will be agreed for the assessment
NOTE ON OILY FISH. New information as of September 2018 from Public Health England. Fresh tuna is no longer classed as an oily fish. The self-assessment form has not yet been changed to reflect this.
Contact us at HealthandWellbeing@suffolk.gov.uk
- If you have an Eat Out Eat Well Award question
- If you'd like your business to take part in the Eat Out Eat Well Award
- If you'd like to nominate a business to go forward for an Eat Out Eat Well Award