Eat Out Eat Well
The Eat Out Eat Well award recognises the work of food businesses (cafes, restaurants and staff canteens) who are making it easier for customers to make healthier choices when eating out. Look out for the Eat Out Eat Well logo in awarded businesses in your area!
Want to nominate a business to be approached to take part in Eat Out Eat Well, please contact Public Health Suffolk
How does it work?
Eat Out Eat Well is a national award scheme happening in several parts of the country including Suffolk. Businesses are assessed by local environmental health teams (Suffolk) against a set of standards linked to the types of ingredients they buy, how they prepare their food and promote the healthier options to customers. There's an emphasis on using less fat, sugar and salt, making healthier menu changes and staff training. Business’s Food Hygiene Rating and compliance with Food Standards Agency is also taken into account. To find out more information, please Contact Public Health Suffolk for a copy of the Eat Out Eat Well leaflet of the award.
Depending on their score a business can be recognised by a GOLD, SILVER or BRONZE award. Successful businesses are given promotional materials and encouraged celebrate their success to customers.
What's the benefit for businesses?
Out of home catering businesses can make an enormous contribution to influencing and improving their customer’s diet and health by providing healthier food and drink choices. Here are some of the benefits that businesses taking part in Eat Out Eat Well have spoken about:
- Increased publicity (stickers, press, social media)
- An opportunity for product development (new dishes, products stocked)
- Revisiting their marketing strategy (ways to promote healthier options)
- Improved staff knowledge and increased motivation (training)
- Appealing to new or different customer groups
The Eat Out Eat Well award is:
- FREE to Suffolk businesses
- Open to businesses providing out of home catering e.g. cafes, restaurants and staff canteens
- Supported by a Eat Out Eat Well Charter
- Assessed against healthier food practices (procurement, preparation promotion)
- Linked to having a food hygiene rating of 3 or above and being trading standards compliant
- Accompanied by an award (gold, silver or bronze)
- Valid for 2 years (with a reassessment in year 3) unless the businesses circumstances change
- An opportunity for staff to increase their knowledge of the link between food and health through completing free online learning, low-cost learning courses or catering for health courses such as;
How can my business get involved?
- Read The Eat Out Eat Well leaflet guide to decide whether the Eat Out Eat Well award is for your business. (Please note this document is being reviewed and will be uploaded in due course).
- Contact Us to start the conversation. We will get in touch and give an overview on how to complete a Eat Out Eat Well self-assessment form to see how your business would score against the Eat Out Eat Well standards
- Your local environmental health team will be in contact to arrange a time to discuss award and your assessment
- You will have time to consider and adopt any changes you discuss
- A convenient time will be agreed for the assessment
- If you have an Eat Out Eat Well Award question
- If you'd like your business to take part in the Eat Out Eat Well Award
- If you'd like to nominate a business to go forward for an Eat Out Eat Well Award
Page reviewed: August 2020 Next Review: February 2021
(Please note some of the materials are currently being reviewed, and we will be working with Trading Standards and Environmental Health teams to review the scheme and assessments in light of COVID19)