Making sure your organisation is a healthy place to work is good for productivity and an investment for future prosperity.
An estimated 131 million days were lost to sickness absence in the UK in 2013 alone, equating to lost productivity and the associated cost to employers.
Of course, some illness cannot be prevented, but by promoting good health, sickness can be reduced. This means a happier, healthier workforce, and reduced cost to the organisation.
This page provides a range of useful resources for businesses of all sizes to support you to create the healthiest possible environment for your staff.
As a simple meditation practice, Mindfulness can be learned by most people. It's historically associated with Buddhist meditation, and in recent years it has been integrated with contemporary psychological theory and research and is now applied as an evidence-based intervention for managing stress and promoting wellbeing.
Learn about mindfulness and how it can help you.
Getting an award is a great way for your organisation to get recognition for the work you have done supporting staff health. It also improves corporate image and helps your business attract the best staff.
If your business is based in England, you have the opportunity to start working towards the Workplace Wellbeing Charter.
OneLife Suffolk works directly with local businesses in the county to boost employee health and wellbeing. They already work with businesses of all sizes to provide a range of services.
Specifically, this includes:
- A tailored workplace health programme delivered on-site, for free, designed to promote good health, improve productivity and reduce staff sickness absence.
- Delivered by trained OneLife Suffolk specialists, already supporting other Suffolk businesses.
- NHS health checks (40-74 year olds not on a cardiovascular disease register with their GP)
- Weight management programmes
- Support to quit smoking
- Health walks
If you are interested in finding out how OneLife can support your organisation, contact 01473 718193 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whether you’re reviewing existing policies on everything from sickness absence to paternity leave, we have some handy downloadable policy documents for you to adapt as necessary.
- Absence toolkit (Word, 955KB)
- Family friendly policy (Word, 883KB)
- Grievance policy (PDF, 124KB) / Grievance toolkit (Word, 171KB)
- Managing absence policy and sickness policy (Word, 44KB)
- Maternity policy (Word, 49KB) / Parental leave policy (Word, 98KB) / Shared parental leave policy (Word, 49KB)
- Paternity and partners pay policy (Word, 47KB)
- Business in the Community mental health toolkit (PDF, 3.4MB)
Ensuring your team is fit for work is important, including people’s physical and mental health. Here are some example assessments to ensure you’re measuring the right indicators of good health.
- Workstation Assessment/ Workstation Self-Assessment
- Stress Management Toolkit
Making the case
If you need to consider our offer in more detail, or make the case to others in your organisation, you can download our explanatory PowerPoint presentation: Workplace Health: An Offer to Suffolk Businesses (PPT, 492KB).
All employers across England and Wales can refer employees who have been off work for four weeks or more for a free Fit for Work assessment. Find out more with the Fit for Work toolkit.
Take the One You quiz for a quick glance at your health, and to sign up for handy reminders and ideas for keeping healthy.
NHS Smokefree. Sign up for support to quit smoking.
Keep active with the Active 10 fitness tracker app