Hidden Harm refers to the impact of parental drug and/or alcohol misuse, domestic abuse and poor parental mental health on children and young people.
In Suffolk, we believe that no child or young person should be prevented from being safe, feeling valued and developing positive emotional and physical strength as a result of living with adult substance misuse, domestic abuse or poor mental health.
We also believe that parents or carers with drug and alcohol misuse, poor mental health or living in abusive relationships should receive support to overcome their difficulties and positively nurture and parent their child.
Where can I get help?
- Iceni provide help to families affected by drugs and alcohol
- Suffolk Family Carers support children and young people who may have a caring responsibility for a parent misusing drugs and alcohol
- Anglia Care Trust provide help and support to families affected by domestic abuse
- Turning Point provide drug and/or alcohol support and treatment for all ages across Suffolk
- Suffolk Infolink is an online directory where you can access a wealth of useful contacts for support
- Suffolk Parenting Hub provides parenting programmes to help you gain practical advice and information, discuss issues and share concerns.
What should I do if I'm concerned about a child?
If you are concerned for the welfare of a child, you can contact the Suffolk Safeguarding Children Board or by calling 0808 800 4005.