NHS Health Check
Prepare yourself for the future and identify ways to improve your health
The NHS Health Check is a free health check-up for adults aged 40-74 in England. As we get older we are at a higher risk of developing conditions such as stroke, kidney disease, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and dementia. Having an NHS Health Check helps you to find ways to lower your risk of these conditions.
The check will usually take between 20-30 minutes. This will involve the health practitioner asking you a few simple questions about you and your lifestyle. They will take your blood pressure, height and weight. The health practitioner will also complete a simple blood test to check your cholesterol level.
How do I get my free NHS Health Check?
The NHS Health Check is for people aged 40 to 74 who do not have a pre-existing condition (see list here).
If this applies to you, you should receive an invite letter from your GP surgery once every five years. Once you receive your invite letter you can book an appointment at your GP Surgery. You can also take your invite letter to a participating pharmacy or OneLife Suffolk if you are unable to access your GP Surgery.
If you have not received an invite letter but think you may be eligible for an NHS Health Check you can contact a participating pharmacy or OneLife Suffolk to book an appointment. OneLife Suffolk may also be able to offer some workplace NHS Health Checks, please contact them for more information.
Participating Pharmacies are:
|Day Lewis PLC Pharmacy||7 St Olaves Precinct Howard Estate, Bury St Edmunds, IP32 6SP||01284 754236|
|David Holland Pharmacy||Norton Road, Haverhill, CB9 8LU||01440 713365|
|Aqua Pharmacy||52 Duke Street, Ipswich, IP3 0AQ||01473 225 266|
|Barbour Pharmacy||119 Bramford Road, Ipswich, IP1 2LW||01473 254618|
|Woodbridge Road Pharmacy Ltd||102 – 104 Lacey Street, Ipswich, IP4 2PH||01473 286 203|
|Superdrug Pharmacy, Lowestoft||14 The Britten Centre, Lowestoft NR32 1LR||01502 580237|
|Superdrug Pharmacy, Newmarket||Unit 11, The Rookery, Guineas Shopping Centre, Newmarket, CB8 8HT||01638 665299|
|Superdrug Pharmacy, Sudbury||8 North Street, Sudbury, CO10 1RB||01787 372555|
|Burlington Pharmacy||14 Burlington Road, Ipswich IP1 2EU||01473 221022|
Feedback about the NHS Health Check helps us to improve the service. If you have had a recent HealthCheck please complete the survey online at www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/NHSHealthCheckFeedback/
Why should I have a NHS Health Check?
Is there anything I can do at home?
There are many online materials and self-assessments that can help you get an idea of how healthy you are.
- If you're over 30, take the online Heart Age test to see what your risk of getting heart disease or stroke is.
- Find out if you're at risk of type 2 diabetes with this quick and simple test.
- Find out if you're at risk of kidney disease with this quick and simple test.
- Use the BMI calculator to see whether you're a healthy weight for your height. If you're overweight, it will also tell you what your daily calorie range should be to help you lose weight.
- Could you be drinking too much? Check your alcohol intake with this mobile drinks tracker.
- Public Health England have created the How Are You quiz. This is where you can assess your current health and wellbeing.
Page reviewed and updated April 2021. Next Review October 2021